Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
For what its worth, it was the 4 point leveler control located in the basement cubby accessed from outside the rig, as javelin mentioned and showed a picture of, thank you.

I'll be honest, I did not call Lippert, and maybe I should have.
I am not an electronics tech, nor an electrician, but have analytical skills and was trained to be a machinist/machine repairman having learned some about a lot of them, especially hydraulics.
I took the $350 gamble on my hunch of the problem lying in the 4 point leveling controller, and it was the culprit.

The Lippert troubleshooting guide said it could be one of three possibilities.
1. the parking brake not set, 2. the key not on and/or the engine running, 3. Time out error of the panel being on over 4 minutes and to turn it off, then back on.

Inside the RV on the wall control, the screen was never lit, and would not turn on.
But if you looked carefully, an error message read Comm Error/Check Wiring.
This was only there with the park brake set and either the engine running or just the ignition turned to the on position.
Removing it from the wall, my meter read 10vdc across all wires using the end yellow one as the common.
Remove any of those two settings: parking brake set, or ignition key in on &/or engine running, and nothing displayed on the screen.

It did not "time out' because, IMHO, it never really turned on, illuminating the screen display.

At the 4 point leveling control module, outside in the cubby, the plug that has only two larger gauge wires, power supply plug.
That plug read 14.2 volts with the parking brake set and engine running.
I only tested this with the engine running.
If I eliminated either parking brake, or ignition switch to off position, I read zero volts at that plug.
I did not attempt to read voltages at other plug ins on that module, as it was hard to reach up in there to do so.
Besides, at the wall panel I got 10 volts dc.
I was expecting to see 14v, or maybe at least 12v as the engine was putting out, and the level control module down below read that.

Getting home, and the module that I gambled upon was here, I installed it.
It worked! Hooray!
So I manually leveled it and gave it a level initiation as set it.

I find out, with engine running, parking brake set, new module installed down below, and not turning on the system with the wall control.
I take it off the wall, unplug it and read voltages as I did in my initial trouble shooting that read 10 volts dc.
In the same sequence of using the meter, parking brake set, engine running, I get 5.4 to 6.3 volts dc.
Parking brake set, key on engine not running, I read 5.3 to 5.5 volts dc.

Then returning the plug to the wall mount device, the screen lights up and says it is in error, which I cleared, and now it is fixed.

I hope this helps someone in the future if they experience the same conditions as we did.
It's kind of a pain making your camping week without the thing being level.
Have a nice day!
Rusty

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum