Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Slide topper
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It is unfortunate that you both have had problems with your slide topper(s), but I am glad that you both posted your situations with pictures so the rest of us can see what is going on. That broken topper cap/arm almost looks like the topper tube started binding at that end and broke off the cap. I am not sure if there is a bearing receiver in each end cap that should be sprayed with silicon spray once in a while?
I went out and had a quick look at my 2013 ACE which has relatively small slides (thankfully) at only 12’ and about 7’ wide.......but I noted that one screw head was missing on each slide topper support bracket (both missing screw heads were on the trailing rear topper bracket end). Not sure if that is significant or not......maybe related to how the topper spring tension is distributed.
So basically the rear topper cap arm on each slide was only attached with one screw to each corresponding rear slide wall mounting bracket. I drilled out the broken screw on the smaller bedroom slide and used a stainless steel pan head screw to restore some support. Not sure if stainless screws will be strong enough long term, but it is what I have available. I will do the larger slide as well when weather improves. I also checked the topper end cap screws and all are tight and still in place. So thanks for posting your info and reminding us to check things a little more closely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7' Rear Slide Topper Support SS Screw replaced missing screw head .jpg
Views:	130
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19869   Click image for larger version

Name:	16' Rear Slide Topper Support one screw head gone.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	19870  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum