Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Slide topper
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
.......but I noted that one screw head was missing on each slide topper support bracket (both missing screw heads were on the trailing rear topper bracket end). ...
Wow. So in one day we have three people with three different Carefree slide topper failures. Like I said, I think they're poor design and a possible disaster waiting to happen.

I would also say yours broke because of too much force for the type/size/amount of fasteners. If I were you I'd add 2 or 3 more screws to that part of the brackets. There's plenty of room to put them in between those screws on each end.

The other thing you guys with the broken screws or parts might want to do is to lighten the tension on the rollers. Just take the rear end cap off and let it unwind a few turns. Be careful obviously since it will want to spin around once you take the screws out. Mine had a fair amount of tension on them, more than I think is necessary. It's the roller tension that's breaking these parts.

BUT WAIT! Is is up to the assembly guys at Thor to determine that tension when they're installing the toppers? Are they winding them up too tight? OMG maybe this IS a Thor assembly problem after all. hahahahaha. I still say it's mostly a design problem.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum