Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Protecting RV in hurrican

I split time between Pittsburgh and Cape Coral on the Gulf Coast. We’re in Cape Coral now but our MH is back in Pittsburgh. I started thinking yesterday about either being on trip when a hurricane hit or having it sitting down here when a tropical storm or hurricane hit.

I agree with the previous post. I decided the best course of action would be to drive it out of the area to a place where rain and wind would be minimized.

The biggest concern will be flying debris that can shatter windows (which aren’t hurricane proof like in our homes). I had the window shatter on our entry door a few months ago driving to a camp when a rock or other debris hit it. The glass is tempered but it shattered and I had to put duct tape over it to hold it together until I could get a replacement from Thor.

Blowing debris could also crack the vent covers easily and then there would be a real mess from all of the rain pouring in.

Then factoring in the wind driven rains.... I have to think water would find its way in even if you have never had a leak otherwise.

Your house is likely better equipped to handle a Cat 3 storm than your motorhome. I would secure the house and then pack up and start driving it towards Atlanta as soon as you can. The gas lines have already started so the sooner you fill up and get out of Florida the better.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum