Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
EarlyRV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Montana
THOR #16625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
Do you have a good AT&T signal at your home now? That would be very important since it's locked to AT&T.

I recently installed the TOGO. I'm not seeing blazing speeds, but it has been good enough to stream movies on a Roku as well as browse with other devices at the same time. The average speed seems to be about 10 Mbps. I have yet to test it anywhere but my backyard.

If your RV is somewhat close to the house and always connected to power, you could just leave it on the RV. Mine is roughly 30 feet away and I can use it in the house. Fortunately, I have AT&T fiber at home (350 Mbps!). I did connect a Roku from within my house to the TOGO and ran it for multiple days to test the performance of the TOGO. It performed well. The reach of the Wifi MIMO antennas is also impressive.

There are only two connections on the TOGO. Two wires for 12 volts input power and a hidden ethernet connection. They don't really advertise the ethernet port and the one extra hole in the TOGO is too small to simply connect a cable. You would have to run the wire into the TOGO and then install an ethernet connector.

You could then install an ethernet jack somewhere on the RV. Install a wireless router in your house. Then just run a cable from the wireless router to the RV ethernet jack. Connect all of your home devices to the wireless router. No setup required with the ethernet port. Just plug it in.

I have previously had AT&T at the house and it was a pretty good connection. I have recently been bugging the kids friends when they come over to ask if they have AT&T and to see their signal strength.

I was formerly in IT and I have an overly complex network situation in my house. I work from home and need to keep my son's gaming separate from my work network.

The plan is to have it be the only router in the RV. No Ethernet needed. For the house, I will mount it high on the outside wall and run the power cable and Ethernet cable into into the house. Power to a converter. Looking at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BA570...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Ethernet into my existing mesh WiFi system.

The big problem with my existing setup is that the satellite has a data cap that I blow through the first week of the month and then it is completely hit-or-miss with my speed for the rest of the month. It is usually fast enough to work, but barely. I would like to see faster than 10Mbps, but that would be a net upgrade for me.

Unfortunately, I will be storing the RV offsite through the winter or your plan would be a possibility. We have room in the yard for it until the snow flies. I don't trust my plow guy enough to leave it in the driveway for the winter.

Thanks for all of the help.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum