Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #1226
Paul N

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Front Cap Issues on COMPASS

Talk about frustrating:

I was recently waxing/shining our 2017 23TR with a Meguiars' RV/Marine quick wax and discovered an "air void" in the front cap along the drivers side of the sunroof. I felt a crunch, like cracking an egg, as I wiped off the wax. I found a hole in the fiberglass cap about the size of a penny. See attached photos. The fiberglass cap at this area is paper thin!

I'm going to take it in to our dealer to have it patched since we are heading out on a camping trip later this month. I don't need any water intrusion. It is still summer in Florida which means rain! They are going to patch it and submit an "out of warranty" repair ticket to Thor for a more thorough job.

Also along with this repair ticket, they will submit for some factory damage repair we discovered on the front cap. After over a year of sitting in the sun, a delamination bubble about the shape and size of a football appeared above the front window on the driver's side. You can also see where the COMPASS letters were removed and replaced about an inch higher on the cap, and a bad repaint area has developed. We have already discussed this with Thor and it was suggested to submit the "out of warranty" repair ticket. So, we will do that and add the HOLE!

Anyone else having issues with the front cap or are we just really, really lucky?

As an aside, I have nothing but good things to say about Gerzeny's RV World of Nokomis Florida. They have been great with everything! I highly recommend them, sales, service and especially their body shop. They recently repaired a crunch from our landscaper running into the rear with one of their mowers. It looks better than new!

Also for anyone else who is experiencing problems with the decal on the rear slide end cap, Gerzeny's body shop did everything in their power to buff out the damage to the gelcoat caused by the decal. It was a no go. Although, the end cap looks SO much better, the shadow of the decal is still there. They are submitting another "out of warranty" repair ticket to Thor to try to cover this. Thor already sent us a new decal. We are going to cut out the clear area and re-install the colored areas only.

Speaking of Thor, I have to say their customer service, specifically, Nate, has been great to work with. Thor has sent us a new sink to replace our rusting Stainless Steel sink, a couple of replacement wooden bed slats that were defective and broke, a complete new bedroom sliding window since ours was missing a part of the top track that caused the sliding window to jam and not lock, and as mentioned earlier a new rear decal.

Above all we love the COMPASS and the Ford Transit chassis and can't wait to re-retire and start travelling! There are some great Military Campgrounds out there to check out.

I think that's all....

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	20088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	20089  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum