Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
daver35

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
THOR #10566
Murphy Bed in the Garage

Hey. Got around to finishing the mounting of our Murphy Bed in our 29H Toy Hauler garage space. We've been using it it enought that i didn't have time(i'm TERRIBLE with time management) to make the modification to the bed frame to attach it to the wall.

I found the bed frame setup online thru some goodgle searches. It's from Europe. Wallkingbed I believe. It's a horizontal style Full size. It's great because this size and set up allows us to keep our wall cabinets which we need for storage. The changes needed were the way Thor builds the walls. There are no studs every soo inches like in a traditional wall. Just for the fun of it i bought that device that you plugs into your phone and you use their app. It's called Walabot. I wanted to see what was behind the panels. I decided to keep things simple an just use the same location that the folding benches used after we removed them. So I placed the bed where we wanted it and took measurements and went up to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" square tubing and some flat stock to extend the bed frame out to the studs in the wall for the original bench mounts. This is needed to hold the bed upright and also from rolling forward when the bed is down and in uses.
The bed uses a gas cartridge strut to assist lifting the bed and holding it in place when it's folded out of the way but I will be getting some more click style straps to help secure it while driving down the road. We also had to come up with a way to support the end of the bed that was above the ramp entrance. i used 2 5/16" carrriage bolts thru the bed frame and to the floor and extended the fold out leg of the bed. I went to walmart and bought and nice inexpensive memory foam mattress and we are using a topper that we had originally as well. Other than this we love it. My girlfriend has a "Real Bed" now and we have our garage space back in a minute. WE still kept the driver side folding bench for eating inside with bad weather.

Hope this helps with ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	20268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	20269  

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	20270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	20271  

Name:	IMG_3432.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	20272  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum