Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
Cabinetmkr

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Warning : Slide outs...watch for open joints

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	20306Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3002.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	20307Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	20308

Damn manufacturer ... of my 2016 Thor Hurricane 32N

So I notice a slight open joint on the trim at bottom of slide .. where silicone once was , had opened up... I thought , the movement has just caused it to open, no worries it’s just trim ...
Upon further inspection, the screws have rusted off on the bottom side, and I could push this trim down... WTH?

To top it off.., the bottom of the slide is nothing more than cheap ass OSB board, with a vinyl covering.

Where the rusted off screws were , is nothing more than disintegrated sawdust, Back about an inch in one small place
keep in mind, this RV has been stored inside , only been on about 8 camping trips and most of water has been from washing and not rain.
Having been in the home construction business my entire life, I have to question the design... the design and material, incompetent as hell...
They could have used advantech sheathing , it could stay rained on without any damage , total cost less than $100... but dammit.. you never expose OSB to the remote possibility of water, this was designed to get wet if a simple bead of silicone failed in a flex joint.

Thank goodness I caught this, no structural problems, but with this poor design, any crack in trim creates a puddling of water on the edge of the OSB where the screws are. Had this unit been stored outside , I could see a full slide floor replacement. The manufacturer is relying on this trim joint to be the watertight seal which is a huge design flaw.

I’ll be removing this entire trim , cleaning and applying the zip system flashing tape. After that, the trim is cosmetic, as it should be.

I’ll now be doing a full inspection of every joint where water meets 2 components... gotta be proactive ... if they didn’t have a clue what they were doing here... might be other places as well!

KC

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.