Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I have a 2018 Chateau class C with 2 house batteries. I have checked the water levels in the batteries regularly, and they always seem to need water. I've never seen vehicle batteries need so much water added, so I'm wondering if this indicates that they are being overcharged. I do stay plugged into shore power most of the time, so I'm wondering if this is typical when plugged into shore power a lot, or if there might be a problem with my converter/charger.
You have a three stage charger. In float mode the charger will supply a 13.1 to 13.6 volt to the batteries. The voltage is dependent on the resistance of the batteries (state of charge) and the temperature of the charger. In the summer, the charger is usually much cooler than the batteries, thus supplies extra current to the batteries, slowly boiling off the water in the batteries. Better chargers have a temperature probe (thermister) attached to a battery post that regulates absorption and float voltage. PPS and PD chargers can be refitted with the temperature probes.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.