Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
nmcmilla

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi Nancy, a couple questions for you first: (again, I don’t know your coach or its battery control system):

1. when shore power is disconnected from coach; gen and engine are off, do you get 12vdc lights and fans running OK in the coach when use/store switch is on? YES .....
2. When you turn off the use/store switch the 12vdc lights and fans should stop working. Do they start working again when you plug in shore power YES “or” turn on the generator (leave use/store off)? YES
Also check the two reverse voltage fuses on the output of the converter. NOT SURE WHERE THESE ARE (when connecting the new batteries there was incidental contact with metal generating a spark - might that have blown fuses?)
They will blow if the coach batteries are accidentally connected in reverse polarity to the converter output.
It could also be the converter itself has failed (AC input to converter is proven good, but no DC output can be measured with a voltmeter on any DC fuses for example). I HAVE ALREADY HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM HANDLED BY DEALERSHIP JUST OVER 12 months ago...

you are not comfortable testing these circuits then leave it for the RV techs.

Regarding the trickle charger.......if you are using the coach as in #1 above (use/store on) then you will likely pull more amps out of the battery than the trickle charger can supply (and may blow output fuse on the trickle charger), so not much point. If you are not using the coach, turn off use/store as a minimum /or better yet disconnect the coach batteries ground cable(s) and then trickle charge the batteries.
Thanks for your help javelin. I added comments in capitals above (not yelling just so they would stand out;-) I think I will have to tickle charge 1 at a time until mid Oct RV tech appointment. Nancy

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum