Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ah missed that thread--by the dates I see that I was camping at the time; go figure ! LOL

Interesting looking at the specs. The RV application for Li-Ion is a bit different than the EV application (just look at the max current draws, EV limits are much higher).

I would imagine those differences mean RV's will get a different chemistry mix and that the batteries will last a bit longer.
Yes, chemistry is very different which is what makes it a lot safer as far as fires go. For RV use, this works great because power demands are relatively low, so the typical 1C charging and discharging rates are enough. For an electric car that would never be enough power. On hybrid cars I’ve seen 0.5 kWh batteries working at up to ~ 20 kW which is an order of magnitude higher than needed for RV use.

The biggest problem I see is that the cost of these RV lithium batteries is still a lot higher per kWh than what the auto industry is paying for theirs.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.