Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
rbmartiniv

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
Question New Toad - Ford Focus

Recently went from diesel pusher to a 2016 Thor Challenger 37KT. Was just tired of diesel headaches and expense (I'm not a mechanical person). Not to mention I got a luxury coach for $100,000+ less than a new diesel would have cost me. I was towing a Chevy Traverse, but at almost 4,800 lbs I thought it would be best to trade it for something lighter (I gave up a lot of power and torque, plus that would be awful close to the max tow weight).

Do any of you tow a Ford Focus? I traded my 2012 Traverse for a 2015 Focus yesterday (boy, does it look a lot smaller in my car port!). It is almost 1,700 lbs lighter, 2 feet shorter, and 6.6 inches narrower than the Traverse.

I have a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and the Blue Ox Autostop supplemental breaking system with breakaway. I was getting ready to order the base plate when I realized I will probably need to drop the receiver a few inches (the Focus is much lower than the Traverse). I'll have to measure to know what size high-low hitch adapter.

Questions I have about this for any of you towing a Focus are:
1. What size high-low adapter do you use?
2. What kind of electrical connection do you use? (what pin cable, etc.)
3. Did you install a battery kill switch? If so, what brand?

Any advice, references, etc. you can offer would also be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum