Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Yes, you can certainly overload and probably not suffer dire consequences, but those weight restrictions are established for a reason, (safety), so how smart is it to run overloaded?
It’s not. Having extra capacity is better than not enough, regardless of how we look at it (within reason). Obviously you don’t want to build a 10,000-pound motorhome on a 20,000-pound chassis because it would ride horrible (too stiff), but that’s not going to happen anyway.

It’s far more likely that a manufacturer will upsize to the highest chassis GVWR available within a model, and then push the limits. The ProMaster at 9,350 pounds, Ford Transit at 10,360, Mercedes Sprinter at 11,030, and Ford E-450 at 14,500 pounds are common chassis choices that are often built with too little cargo carrying capacity. There are exceptions, but many leave the factory too heavy in my opinion.

On smaller units I’d want about 2,000 pounds (or more) for occupant and cargo carrying capacity, and that’s rare.

The thing about overloading is that it may be OK most of the time, but it only takes that 0.01% of the time to get people injured or worse. Whether it’s driving across the desert that leads to tire blowout, or hitting a large pot hole in the road, being over the limit is not a good idea. Personally, I prefer being considerably under the load limit. Peace of mind is priceless.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.