Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Alaska
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #8
yukongrant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Not for everyone

We live in the middle of the Alaska Highway trip in Whitehorse, Yukon. It's a long trip. Ducks in right. There are "many miles of green walls and blue ceiling." You're looking at about 1,000 miles of northern wilderness from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks. But there are great views and wonderful experiences along the way if you take your time. (When it comes to "vastness" - Alaskans sell a T shirt with an outline their state and Texas occupying a fraction of it and the saying "Ain't Texas cute!" It really is a different perspective up here.)
I've driven from here to the east coast and back several times. There are always many miles of something that may not interest me. But as Bob says, it's the adventure. I've enjoyed most days on the road. The days I just can't take are those on 8 lanes of interstate! If that's how you roll, don't try the Alaska trip.
The roads are not that bad. I drove over 10,000 miles last summer and did not find any really bad roads. Of course, I can point you to some roads that will "tear your RV to pieces" if you try driving them at 70 mph. The Alaska Highway is a 2 lane, mostly paved highway that's best travelled at 50 to 60 mph. And watch for the maintenance warnings! They mean to slow down!
The towns along the way are small and often predominantly inhabited by "First Nations" people. They certainly aren't big city folk. But I enjoy their company.
Gas prices and food are more expensive than in the lower 48. All of Canada is more expensive. But we're especially more expensive. Right now, our gas is priced a $1.42 per litre. That's just over $4.00 a gallon when all the conversions are done. (I'd be happy to do a price check for you when you get closer to making a decision. God knows what the price will be in 2 years.)
We obviously like living where we do. And we enjoy travelling. The Alaska trip is not for everyone. Do your research. You may decide to go somewhere else. And that's great. Enjoy the trip wherever you go. I asked a First Nation elder one time what his favorite place was. He threw his baseball hat on the ground and said "Under that." Good advice! The best place is where you are. Enjoy it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum