Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Alaska
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #15
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanh1 View Post
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Alaska probably 2 years from now. Before I start any planning it seems a good way to start by asking if anyone who has done the trip has any suggestions. We'll be starting in Florida, probably as far away as we could be, but it's where we live so ....

Currently have a 2019 Windsport 33x, and I (not so much my wife) think we should try to trade for a similar diesel, perhaps Palazzo, before trying such a trip.

We have been road-tripping for many years now, longest being a 3 month 12K miles trip last year with a Lance 24ft trailer. Now we want to experience the ultimate trip, hence my asking for any advice. Plenty of time to decide things, would appreciate any input. Happy rv-ing!

So.... my wife and I have been having the same discussions for the past year. She wants to go to Banff and then onto Alaska from there. We are looking at the same timeline... maybe about 2 or 3 years from now.

I have been against it because it is a long haul but mostly because there is a lot of nothing in places on the drive up. I also heard people comment about bad roads. I told her that the only way I would do it is if we could make the drive up and back with some other people.... a small convoy of a few rigs.

Everyone could go there own way once we got there but it would be better to be with a group on the drive up and the drive back. There is safety in numbers and if / when "stuff" happens, it is good to have a few people around to help solve issues.

That being said.... it is on the table for us and we were going to start seeing if we could find a few people who wanted to make the trek to Alaska and then coordinate driving up and back together.... even though that may be tough to do.

We traded on our Outlaw 29H a couple months ago for a 2020 Magnitude SV34 4x4 w/ the PowerStroke Diesel. When we retire in another 2 years we want to spend 3 - 4 months on the road seeing the west and chunks of the country and we decided that the Outlaw was just not going to be big enough for two of us and the dog for 3 - 4 months.

I also wanted a coach with more power and better fuel economy for traveling the mountain road, towing etc. and having 4x4 does not hurt either. So far we have been pleased with the Magnitude.

We now think we have the coach that could make a trip to Alaska... now we just need to figure out how we would want to do it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum