Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
NateHTP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17462
Unhappy Electrical Boom, Need Help Diagnosing ('96 Hurricane)

Hello folks, I'd appreciate your help trying to figure out what happened to my motorhome's electrical and what steps I should take to further investigate / fix it. The bottom line is I had a little space heater "blow up" on me with sparks after having some strange readings on our new power plug. Thanks so much for reading and offering your help, here are the specific events. I realized I made some dumb mistakes here, fwiw, but best to tell you exactly what happened in what order to get most logical/scientific advice on how to proceed:

- We had a new 30a / 120v power plug added to our house by an electrician.
- I got home, and plugged in the 30a electrical line to the new power port with a surge protector.
- I plugged in the power plug to the RV side. Immediately, I heard a loud pop - the 120v breakers blowing.
- I went inside the RV and flipped the breakers back to normal. They immediately popped back to blown, I saw a spark from inside/behind the breakers, head a pop and hiss behind me where my electric header literally sparked and smoked. Whoa.
- I went outside, disconnected the power cable from the RV.
- I went back to the 30a / 120 plug on my house and looked at the surge protector - it showed GREEN (surge protection on), and BLUE / RED on ("open neutral"). I've done a lot of reading "open neutral" and I honestly can't figure out what it truly means in relation to my MH.
- I took my power cable, put the 120v adapter on it, and plugged it into a different 120 outlet on my house.
- I went back to RV and plugged the electrical wire it into the RV.
- I went inside the RV and flipped the breakers back on. They didn't immediately blow.
- I tested a different heater on the same plug. This plug was, by the way, the GFCI. It ran the other heater fine on 120v.

Since this happened I've called my electrician and he said he'd come back and look at the plug, but he's not taken 3 days and I can't wait any longer to get to fixing / investigating this and getting everything back to safe/working.

Anyway... thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate any thoughts / help you have. I'm pretty handy with 12v power configurations, but 120 is new to me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum