Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Soldier Girl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I put the solar 'thing' to bed.
I had a great system once.
I didn't pay for it, it was $6500 worth of solar and inverter on a 19ft toy hauler.
It came to me for free upon purchase of the trailer.

I loved it. Top of the line everything in its day. 3000w xantrex and all xantrex solar controllers.

But.

The money for the solar is a waste for me.
Except for a fun talking point, solar at $6500 would never ever ever be anything except for about six to ten times the amount of money a generator uses in ten years.

I am assuming you have a generator and an alternator and coach batteries.
If you don't own a generator the systems come closer to equality in initial outlay and ongoing cost.

Yes you can buy the quiet solar offers. No, you can't buy the quiet on a tight budget.

My view on solar is just a reality based thought which I hope gives you some ease of mind.
And
Check out Boondockers welcome. It's a very good source of free camping, sometimes with hook ups.
Same with harvesthosts.

Good luck in the coming year. Some of us will be here to help at a moments notice.
(we've solved
Warranty
Camping
Erased the solar conundrum) 8-)
Hey Duckface, thank you. I put off solar last year & picked up my toad & equipment. My best investment by far was steering stabilization. Whoo Hoo! A night & day difference from fighting my rig every mile of each travel day. I was extremely impressed. So, yeah, I want that solar for all the reasons people mention - but especially bc I believe in back up systems. No shore power? Go to genie. Not enough gas? Well, then it would be nice to know I have solar picking up the slack for at least some of the electrical. Next year...sigh

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum