Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Right but I think Ford would like to stop E-Series production completely. Their clear path forward is the Transit. It really is only a matter of time before all E-Series chassis goes away and they start making heavier Transit chassis models.
I don't disagree with Ford wanting to make the E-Series go away, but the only part of the Transit that lends itself for larger Class Cs like those built on E-450 is the cab's sheet metal.

The Transit is way too light with it's unitized structure to handle a 30+ foot Class C. And I don't know if you have looked at a Transit van, but the space between the front seats is so narrow that it would make it too hard for many older RVers to move to the back of the coach.

Ford may adapt the Transit's cab over a ladder-style truck frame to create a heavier-duty chassis for larger motorhomes. GM took that approach decades ago when their unitized-frame vans couldn't be used for larger Class Cs, but that didn't go all that well for GM.

In the mean time I would much rather have an E-Series with a heavy-duty truck V8 or V10 than a Transit with a V6.

For smaller motorhomes I would prefer to see Ford beef up the E-Series single-rear-wheel's chassis rating well above that of the present DRW Transit's, and similar to DRW Mercedes Sprinter's. Ford SRW pickups are up to 11,500 GVWR, and RAM 3500 now go to 12,000 pounds in 2WD. That would easily accommodate motorhome sizes that the Transit and Sprinter now handle (23~24 foot).

When buyers figure out that their new Transit Class Cs can't even tow a Honda Civic, I think many will walk away.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum