Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #50
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave de Graffenreid View Post

....cut....
To avoid wind (so I thought) snow and cold, I drove south west through Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma to reach the 40 Hwy. I had lots of cross wind for two and a half days until after Oklahoma City. At the end of the third day I was able to use the cruise control at 66mph and pass trucks at 65-75mph. I when over lots of hills at 66mph, the six speed transmission gently down shifted to fifth and went right on over the hill. The coach has plenty of power. I didn’t notice a lot of noise, maybe they did some improvement with insulation.
I drove about 300 to 500 miles a day no problem. The mileage was the worst at 60mph in the wind 8.5mpg. The best was 10.37mpg using the cruise control at 66mph. I drove 2500 miles, used 273 gal. and averaged 9.35mpg. The total cost of gas was $583.72, The average price per gallon was $2.14
....cut....
Thanks for report, particularly on new transmission and mileage.

I'm glad to hear the 6R140 6-speed downshifted smoothly without over-revving. I expected it would be quite an improvement based on gear ratios, but it's good to confirm that it didn't double or triple downshift sending RPMs sky high.

One thing I'm curious about is whether you have the ability to shift through all gears manually. When I saw one of the new RVs at a show recently, I did not see a button or other means to hold any of the 6 gears manually. I recall 4 choices on shifter, but I'm not sure how that works or about the other two gears.

Anything you can add on that aspect is appreciated.

BTW, every time I've taken a trip West from Texas, I've gotten higher MPGs on way East than driving West. Must be winds are frequently out of West. Anyway, your mileage seems great for a brand new unit going West and with crosswinds.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum