Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Kirby

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #3374
Alternator charging flaw

2015 ACE 29.3
Setup: trombetto contactor and BIRD.
While dry camping the house batteries ran down. Knowing the genset would not start with dead house batteries, I started the engine to charge the house batteries so I could start the genset. Still could not start the genset. I drove to next stop (300miles), still had dead house batteries.
Here is what I found:
Engine batt voltage was 14.4 (engine running). House batt voltage was 4 volts. The trombetto contactor will not close unless it has 8 volts on the house batt. Hence, the alternator will never charge the house batteries if they are less than 8 volts because the contactor will not close.
Fix:
I made a short jumper cable out of 8GA wire and heavy duty batt clips to connect between the lugs on the trombetto contactor so I could start the genset if this scenario arises again.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum