Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you search the forum, there are people who have mounted tires under the back of the chassis and there are some mounting devices which will fit. However, in most areas in the US, you are probably going to call AAA or the Ford hotline and have them come change the tire anyway. If you have to call for help, tell them if you need a tire and someone will be able to bring you one. For just a flat, the tire may be able to be repaired on the spot. Changing a tire on a Class A RV is dangerous.

While I never bother to carry a tire in the lower 48, on my two trips to Alaska, I did purchase a used tire (no rim) and stored it in the back compartment. I also carried a tire repair kit and tire inflator for a real emergency - if I could not get someone to help. Even in some of the remote dirt roads we took in Alaska there was enough traffic that someone would have eventually called in help for us. I took a tire because I was afraid that out in the woods I might not be able to find one the correct size but that I probably could find someone to mount and change the tire. Luckily, in over 25,000 miles to Alaska and back twice, I never had to use either the repair kit or the spare. Tire Minders or someway to know the condition of your tires minute by minute gives you great peace of mind and increases your chances of noticing a tire starting to go down and stopping and repairing it before it is destroyed.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum