Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
I would guess that only diesel pushers on an industrial frame would be able to use that kind of setup. Neat idea though.
Would depend on size/weight of car, don't you think?

Many wreckers (can do a Google search and see pictures) are built on 1-ton pickup truck chassis like F-350, although F-450 or F-550 may be common to tow heavier SUVs, vans, and the like.

I personally think diesel pushers would be a horrible fit for this idea unless they were the very largest. Smaller to medium DPs already have too much weight hanging off the tail end, which limits weight on front axle. Hanging another 2,000 pounds or more about 4-feet behind rear bumper isn't what I'd want. Not to mention that lift would need to sit just under engine. A front-engine motorhome would seem a lot cleaner an installation, just like with garages.

In my opinion the ideal would be the large Super Cs on a HD Freightliner chassis or similar, but I'm certain an F-53 with longer wheelbase and shorter rear overhang could work easily for average-size cars. You just wouldn't be able to tow a Hummer.

I see some similarities to having to design a motorhome from the onset for this tow system just like those that are designed for a car garage. The chassis and proportions would need to be optimized for this type of towing; and that's probably a major hurdle/issue to market. It would need to be dedicated to those that tow a car most of the time.

As a design afterthought and retrofit I think it would be destined to fail.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum