Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No. Electric vehicles use either 120V (Level 1) or 240V (Level 2) chargers. In both cases they convert the A/C to a much higher voltage DC to charge the battery (in the case of my old Focus Electric that was 350V). ...cut.....
Can't you power the Level 1 charger (120 Volts) from motorhome's generator while driving down the road? Some electric cars carry the 120 Volt charger on board, and if the toad doesn't know it's being towed (I'm not sure if in "off" position the car's computer could detect movement from wheel speed and stop any possibility of charging battery; although I'd guess it would probably not prevent charging from onboard charger) then Onan generator could help charge the EV while being towed. Granted most are very slow and may take 20 hours or longer to charge from empty, but if owner only wants to top-off battery so car is fully charged at destination, then it might work.

Charging from campground power would seem simpler, but I'm guessing that's not allowed unless electric power is metered separately. Is that right? Running generator all day to charge batteries could also get expensive since Onan fuel consumption is relatively high.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum