Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #51
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well Ford already sells the Super Duty chassis in a chassis cab configuration (Take a look at the Chateau Super-C's: https://thormotorcoach.com/chateau-super-c/ They are all on pickup chassis). Its how they can sell a Class C diesel.

Even though in the past you could get an E-Series with a Diesel (my brother had an E-450 conversion van with the 7.3 Powerstroke in it--it was a beast!).
You are correct of course. And information I've read on the upcoming Super Duty is that it will have high-strength steel chassis and aluminum body like Ford used on the F-150. On cab or cutaway applications that should save weight due to the much lighter aluminum body. What appears a little different with new Super Duty is that Ford will also include the V10 (in lieu of just 6.2-liter V8 or diesel) as a third engine choice, and that chassis will not be fully boxed like on pickup trucks.

What I was thinking before is how cool it would be if Ford just took the new F-350 or F-450 extended chassis from crew cab and long bed pickup and removed the body to make a modern chassis for Axis-size motorhomes. I personally would prefer slightly smaller and lighter based on F-350 long but single-rear-wheel chassis like Hymer is doing on Mercedes Sprinter. It just takes effort to keep weight down. More than a Class B but much smaller than most Class As.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1442  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.