Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Axis Spare Tire
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1456598930

That is probably a good reason...with the tire there it would be like a padded and somewhat flexible barrier protecting the fiberglass rearend of the RUV.

There was an article a couple of years ago dealing with rear-end collisions in autos and even at 7mph the RAVA4 with the fancy fiberglass rear end with built in cover over the spare ended up with some $4000+ damage.

I'd hope that the RUV could withstand a 7 MPH hit...but I don't want to find out.

Doc
Doc, my first guess was likely wrong. I think there is another more-reasonable explanation why Curt shaped the carrier that way.

Based on Curt's description and a video review (of which I took a screen shot of) it appears to me that Curt designed it that way so the same carrier can be used on wheel/tires with close-to-neutral offset and also on wheels from trucks with lots of offset -- like wheels from dual-rear-wheel applications.

That makes the carrier more universal. It can be used on your dually wheels, on trailer wheels, or on single-rear-wheel applications too.

I would also guess that the tilt "may" make it a little easier to hang the wheel on carrier without it falling off prior to being bolted down. On mine I welded the studs to carrier so it only works with wheels with my bolt pattern. When made for universal fit, supporting the wheel could be an issue. Although I guess you could bolt wheel to carrier on ground and then lift both as a unit onto receiver. That's what I did with my first carrier because I took it off and on frequently.

Note in picture that wheel is very different than yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1467  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.