Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I would not personally limit my decision making to GVWR and GCWR concerns. There are other factors I would also want to confirm ahead of purchasing.

Tongue weight and the effect on axle loading is one. It's a good bet that a 7,000-pound trailer would need at least 700 pounds of tongue weight to track stable. That will add over 1,000 pounds to rear axle and unload front by over 400 pounds unless significant weight-distribution hitch load is applied. Much of the tongue weight (but not all) may still remain on motorhome after Weight Distribution, so that load has to be subtracted from load carrying capacity. Having said that, a small 24-foot Class C without slides built on a 14,500-pound chassis should be in great shape unless it's very rear-heavy by inherent design.

Another thing I'd personally check is the rear chassis frame extension prior to hitch. Based on Thor dimensions, it appears the rear overhang at around 8-ft long is about 2-ft longer than what Ford supplies. So while the hitch itself may be rated at 8,000 pounds, I'd want to make sure it's attached to motorhome solidly.

My Class C was roughly the same size but built on much lighter E-350 chassis. My concern when towing a few times was the long rear overhang relative to short 158-inch wheelbase, but I only towed up to a 4,000-pound U-Haul. And that was very stable even without weight distribution. At 6,000 or 7,000 pounds I'm not sure how stable it would have pulled.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum