Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #40
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I disagree with the comment that it is a poor aspect of the entire industry. Weight has an impact on alignment. The coach can be perfectly aligned when it leaves the factory and the minuet you add a full tank of fuel, fresh water, passengers and you ton of stuff the alignment is off. That is why the recommendation is to get the vehicle aligned after loading.

Also, if you and the other passengers are not sitting in the vehicle when it is aligned you should compensate by using some form of sandbags, barbells etc in the positions that the passengers will be riding.

What is sad within the industry is the RV manufacturers should pay for the initial alignment within the first 30 days of delivery to the owner. Ford, in a way, is correct to decline warranty service for an alignment unless it can be proven a factory defect caused the issue. My Ford dealer told me many years ago that for them to do an alignment under warranty there must be a complaint. I was told to use the complaint that "in my opinion the tires are wearing unevenly". That is the justification I have used since and never had a problem.

Personally I believe every RV manufacturer should load the vehicle to GVWR, have it aligned and then tell all of us to pound sound when it comes to alignments.
If by "entire industry" we mean the collaboration of Ford, MORyde, and Thor in this case, then based on reports here I'm also discouraged with the lack of clarity, which I think may very well be intentional.

I'm skeptical that loading a motorhome, which may not represent much more than 10% of empty weight, will throw the alignment off enough to notice, or at all for that matter. And like you said, they could load the MH near GVWR before alignment. Their claim seems a smoke screen at best.

And in the unlikely event that it were actually necessary to load a motorhome before alignment, I would also see that as an "industry" failure. There is no excuse to manufacture a vehicle so sensitive to loading. As we've discussed in other threads, from automobiles to heavy-duty trucks, variation in loading which far exceed that of motorhomes' doesn't force a realignment.

I think the "loading claim" is simply their way to deflect responsibility.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.