Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusdecimus View Post
Great, I appreciate your advice. I was thinking that with a used one that has this many miles, perhaps they took care of a lot of the issues that I have seen being reported by people who purchase new.. Again I could be totally wrong but I am also saving almost $30,000 by buying a used one so I have to look at that as well.

One thing that turned us off about the class c with the overhang bed on top of the cab was that it seemed to be affected by wind quite a bit. If we would pass a semi I had to keep very tight control over the steering wheel. That was the main gripe with it. It was also pretty bumpy and noisy. We were thinking that hopefully this unit being a class A would help with those issues.
I'm also looking but will share based on my research and experiences with Class Cs.

The unit you rented was quite large for a standard Class C (to exclude Super Cs), and in my experience the longer they are the more likely they are affected by wind. Longer Class Cs tend to have a long rear overhang which adversely affects handling in crosswinds. I personally doubt that Class A versus C in itself makes much difference in handling due to wind, as proven by the numerous owners of Axis and Vegas who have "upgraded" their motorhomes to eliminate some of the issues you described. I do think that a Class C may be less aerodynamic and hence may get slightly less MPG under similar conditions.

Regarding 2015 vs 2016, if the 2016 was built on a 2016 Model Year Ford chassis, it will have a 6-speed automatic transmission that should drive a little better than the previous 5-speed. Although the older 5-speed is proven and very capable.

Regarding price, are you saving $30,000 versus suggested retail or versus what you could buy a similar new motorhome?

There is about 25 to 30 percent minimum price to be discounted, so if you are looking at a $100,000 Axis, the actual price for a new one may be in the $70~75k range. If you are saving $30k below that with a slightly used motorhome, that seems like a great deal to me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum