Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
jrizzo406

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sieta Sprinter 24 ST
State: Virginia
THOR #4408
Siesta Sprinter 24ST suggestions for use / Owner created user's guide

I purchased the 24ST as it has twin beds and a bed over the cab that fits my living situation at this time in my life. However, as a newbie I've now learned that RVs are not automobiles and you are locked into the dealer you purchased from for life or at least while you attempt to do anything during the warranty period. I don't really care about that, my question is has anyone created any type of "User's Guide" for using this model?

I've read Ed Felker's Checklists and User's Guide for the Vegas Axis and some of what is listed is pertinent to the 24ST that I'll use.

My daughter used it last week and found the missing plug that caused all the antifreeze and fresh water for the tanks to drain out. However, the water pump didn't work. I'll try a few of his suggestions once it returns tomorrow. I leave the day after she returns for my music festival, then home again to refresh and leave for CA for the summer.

Worst cause is I use the music festivals facilities to shower and do dishes camping style like I have for years. Once I get to Mission Bay CA I'll have hookups for 4 weeks and then just have to contend with the drives to and from CA without water if necessary.

This all started when I let my other daughter pickup the RV from the dealer on a Sunday and she did the walk through with the salesman vs technician. The techs had winterized it so they didn't cover turning on the water to use any of it. She immediately used the heater to sleep overnight at a rest stop. I used the heater too. This Spring was colder than expected and we tried to get the water to work finally in late April only after flushing out the water, then filing the fresh water tank, I noticed the grey water tank was 3/4 full and then empty without using it. My friends noticed the water running out of the RV underneath. We tried again, and so did she and finally took it to an RV shop before entering the music festival. She used the toilet by pouring water into the toilet.

We discovered the refrigerator has to work off the generator for propane to run it while underway, she went through an entire tank on her 10 hour drive. Now I'm not certain it's worth using it instead of coolers for the drive west.

We also discovered the AC only works on shore power or the propane generator vs house battery.

A lot more than I thought uses propane under way than house battery. It used more underway than expected to dry camp along the way when I get tired or the dog has to have a break, or my 14 year old granddaughter just needs to run free! Or we find something great to see. As I need the propane to run the AC for the dog to be in the RV when we stop to sight-see I'm even more leery of stopping at all.

The entertainment system is totally confusing and I haven't spent any time figuring it out.

And then the original issue was the center brake light having only 3 of the 9 LED lights working when I took it to state inspection. Camping World's solution was disable it and removed it so if its not there then can't fail the vehicle inspection, and purchase an after market part and install it ourselves. Both of them failed to cover the open wires, it rained and now she can't get the part to work, it did work at the auto supply store.

Any tips, suggestions for making certain everything works is appreciated. My husband repaired all our cars through the years and would let him know when my cars had mechanical issues, I spent two years working with BMW to have a warranty repair fixed in the 70's so I'm familiar with vehicles, engines, and buses having driving one for four years. I alos own my own homes and service all the mechanicals as necessary, furnaces, water heaters, AC, dishwashers, toilets, roofs, etc. I bought a diesel vs gas as the bus was an extended cab truck base and only had ten benches to seat 20, it was in the shop all the time so no gas for me. My brother in law had done his research and decided on a Thor also, he retired as a truck driver last year. I thought I'd prepared myself but this has turned out to be one more stressor I didn't need in my situation. But after a weekend with two dogs in a hotel room last November, I returned home and purchased the RV.

Thanks,

Jacki

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.