Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagger_99 View Post

....cut....

Does this seem reasonable ?
Thanks for the input.
Congratulations on your retirement.

As to tire pressure, I'm not sure it's necessary (or reasonable?) to go over the listed pressure on placard. The listed pressure (unless there has been an error) is based on tires being able to handle the maximum axle weight ratings, so why go higher?

In your case, the 80 PSI you are using in front can handle 5,360 pounds, which is much higher than the maximum 4,600 pounds the front axle is set up to handle. So unless you plan to run way overloaded, why use 80 PSI?

You'll know better when you get an actual weight, but for the most part I don't believe it's necessary to run higher pressures than indicated on placard.

More often than not, a case can be made to run tire pressures lower on lightly-loaded motorhomes. I know a few who run higher pressures to save fuel (lowers rolling resistance), but I personally don't think it's worth the harsher ride that comes with overinflated tires. Too much pressure can also reduce tire traction capability.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.