Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Stan fowler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Improving Vegas/Axis handling

Decided to really get into improving my Vegas - getting much better down-the-road stability and less deflection due to passing vehicles and wind. I regularly haul a car trailer and hot rod/race car - near 5000 lbs load - which doesn't help the stability.

First, of course, was a good alignment at a real truck alignment shop - not the local tire shop. I installed adjustable alignment bushings in the front end set for maximum caster - we were able to get about 8 degrees - which really helped steering centering and " valley feel" . Steering effort is also increased a little- a good thing to me.

Next - larger Hellwig bars front and rear . Front #7008 ( 1 3/8 inch replacing about 7/8 ), 7182 rear ( 1 1/2 repel about 1 1/8).

Next - front( 33-187570) and rear ( 33-176857 ) Bilstein shocks. From much experience developing GM cars and personal race cars, I swear by Bilsteins - for performance and durability. They offer two grades of shocks for E350/450 chassis - "comfort" ( they say you can use for motorhomes under 30 ft ) , and " heavy duty" . Of course - I used the heavy duty on my Vegas - believing in overkill. Comfort may have been a better choice, as you can feel an increase in harshness on our great Michigan roads....

Overall, the Vegas is now a great handling vehicle ! Winds deflect it very little, and even big trucks barely deflect it. I am very happy with the improvement, and the wife is now much more comfortable driving it ( which means more nap time ..... )

Some may ask why I did not add an aftermarket steering stabilizer ( Vegas has one from the factory). I tend to look at steering stabilizers as " band aids" to cover poor stability in the suspension by introducing artificial friction and centering - generally numbing steering feel. I prefer to solve the issues by improving the suspension.

I did each change sequentially. I would rate the changes biggest to least: alignment, front bar, rear bar, shocks. But as a package the results are spectacular. And "only" about $1000....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.