Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Same wisdom as for any vehicle... make sure your tire pressure is correct, keep the engine tuned up, keep your speed reasonable, avoid jackrabbit starts, and so on.

I'm using a Garmin EcoRouteHD which reads the fuel flow data from the engine's OBDC port. From that data, we're averaging just about 10MPG with our 28Z (which is actually 29ft-10") on a E450 chassis.

One thing with the EcoRoute - I can watch how varying the speed by a few MPH affects the fuel mileage.

I usually drive between 55~60mph on the interstate, and I get passed by many other RV'ers - especially those towing 5th wheels - can't imagine they are saving much gas at 70MPH.

I used to have a fuel flow metering system on my boat - which was so depressing it was best not looked at (I averaged 0.7~0.8MPG in the boat).

The only other thing I can think of - which I might do next year - is to install a set of air-tabs (Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV). They claim to increase mileage by 2~5%. Whether or not it is worth the $220 to save 5% in fuel is debatable; I put 2,500 miles on my RV so far this summer - so it would have saved $50, if I got a 5% fuel reduction.

However, the air-tabs are said to help the stability of the rig, especially when being passed by semis etc., and if that is a side benefit, it might be worth the investment.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum