Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
JDHoge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
I'd like to warn people who might be thinking of getting a recent Ford Focus with their 6 speed automatic transmission to tow four wheels down. It turns out that the tranny is unique and consists of two manual 3 speed shafts connected with some fancy clutches that "learn" how you drive and adapt.
The transmission itself is a bit of a pickle; it downshifts when slowing sort of like a manual transmission driver might do if he or she was expecting to accelerate out of a turn, for example. You'll see the RPMs bump up slightly as you slow down in some instances. Also, at least in our case, the transmission seems to have a Jeckle and Hyde nature as it goes from being a slow poke to a race car attitude at the touch of the gas peddle. This might be nice for some drivers but may make grandpa and grandma a bit nervous.
The car is fine on the highway; very stable and wind resistant. Wide tires and good stance make it track well. Also it tows easily, at least in my opinion.
I've seen rumors that each time that the battery is disconnected that the transmission has to go back through its learning period. Maybe that is true. I just don't know.
Ford has a customer service bulletin that explains these things, telling customers not to be concerned with the strange noises and behavior--that they are normal. It even recommends that concerned owners drive another Focus in order to see that such behavior is normal.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum