Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Ag&Au

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just got back from 4,000-mile road trip from Florida to Maine and that's pretty much the new standard I see on the road.

Instead of a 5th wheel above tractor's rear axles, these new trailers attach (i.e. - pivot point) behind the tractor just as if you pulled a bumper-pull trailer. That was my point to Jamie. I agree 5th wheels have some real towing advantages, but also think that a bumper pull can be very stable also, provided one has the right truck/trailer combination. Personally, if I could get the size I wanted/needed, I'd prefer a standard trailer over a 5th wheel because I like the floor to be at one elevation, and lower to ground if possible. New pickups are exceeding 20,000-pound tow capacity with conventional trailer, so the need for a 5th wheel is somewhat diminished.

Here is a picture from the side of one with even more cars. Practically all I've seen had 3 cars on tractor (one over tandems and two up high) plus 6 on trailer (3 low and 3 above).
Thanks for posting the photo. Now I see what's going on. Also I believe you answered the question I asked in the previous post.

Ken

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.