Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
davidgebo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
odometer reading

I tow a 2006 PT Cruiser turbo convertible. Flat-towing does not register miles for my car. JamieGeek is correct that all vehicles act differently, and some may indicate miles while others may not. I installed a Remco tranny lube pump, which is required for this car to lube the tranny while flat-towing. It has worked flawlessly for several thousand miles towing. I am happy with the performance of the Remco product. The Remco website will tell you if your car needs a tranny pump or not for flat-towing. I checked about a dolly to tow the car, which would have saved the expense of the Remco tranny pump and the related wiring, but stowing the dolly while at the campground can be a problem with some parks. If the site is too small for the coach, car, and dolly you must store it elsewhere in the campground. Many, but not all campgrounds and RV parks have such storage areas, but some places like the Keys, campgrounds have very limited storage space. One aspect of flat-towing I have discovered, is that towing in this manner does put extra stress on the steering components of the car. I had to replace the lower control arms, and re-align the front end twice in 3000 miles of towing. The car has 70,000 miles, so it is likely these repairs would have been needed whether flat-towed or not. Not a bad trade-off, really. I imagine the extra stress comes from the fact that steering is reversed, the car is steered from input from the tires, not controlled by the steering wheel. Steering is non-powered, and forced by the coach. In any event, I find flat-towing works well for us.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.