Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
yep we considered the seating but we are still pretty limber for our ages and it didnt seem like a big deal to us. i hate getting only 9 or 10 mpg on something the size of the vegas or axis. friend has a axis and he cant get 9 on his. he says he drives the speed limit and he doesnt tow. 16 to 17 isnt great on the little transit but for the little bit of space you lose i will take the mpg over a little comfort. every one is different and thats why so many different ones out there.
I'm with you on mileage because we drive/travel a lot, although to me 16 or 17 MPG seems great for any motorhome other than a diesel Class B.

That range of MPG is also what owners report for Mercedes Sprinter-based diesel compact Class Cs (or B+ as some call them). On gasoline, you'd have to downsize to a ProMaster Class B Van to get 16 to 17 MPG.

We should keep in mind that for many RVers that only average driving 5,000 miles per year, fuel costs are not that great compared to all other ownership costs, which partly explains why we have many large motorhomes. At 10 MPG for an Axis, the average 5,000 mile year would only burn 500 gallons, or about $1,000 at today's cost. That's in order of $100 per month. Even if I could double fuel economy to 20 MPG, I'd only save $50 per month. Compared to all other costs that's not much to have a much larger RV.

In our case we drive a lot more than 5,000 miles per year (about 15,000 last year) plus I want a small motorhome for other reasons as well, not just fuel economy. Having said that, I'd rather get around 12 MPG on gas with a compact Class C or Class A rather than 8 to 10 MPG with something larger than we need. That plus I expect gas prices will eventually go back up considerably.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.