Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
TerryJames

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
20 year old technology?

Agree with Ron, 34K looks like about twice average to high end retail.
Just some random thoughts:
Even if could buy for 14K cash .. would still have to budget another 14K to fix up. Then would still only have a working 20 year old technology "unit" which is only worth 10K - 14K on today's market not 34K! Suggest going back to a list of absolutely "must haves" in a used RV. How many people, how often, what level of reliability of all systems, do you need a toad and wish to spend the cost associated with that? Do you really need a MH or would a trailer actually fit?

For instance, I have a 1991 Toyota Landcruiser in great shape that I drive every day and every single thing works properly on it. Have paid for it many times over in maintenance costs over the years and it costs me about $800-$1000 per year in upkeep. If I had to renew its functionality to me if I lost it cost would be $15,000 - $20,000 so that's "my worth" ... however on the market it is still only worth $2,000!

If I had maximum 14K - 20K range to look at for an RV ... I think I'd consider first renting a minimum size unit and if it works out, then perhaps visit a consignment lot like PPL or private purchase and make only really low-ball cash offers which I would not expect to be accepted and may even be offensive to the current owner, and wait till it happens. With a budget to fix up as necessary with a certain knowledge that after a few years you may have to donate the unit just to get rid of it.

In your case if really interested in this quite old unit, I'd offer 10K cash in an envelop and walk away if not accepted.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.