Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
.....cut.... i hate getting only 9 or 10 mpg on something the size of the vegas or axis. ....cut....

friend has a axis and he cant get 9 on his. he says he drives the speed limit and he doesnt tow. ....cut....
One of the possible issues with getting lower MPG is that E-450 chassis may have lower gearing than the previous E-350-based Axis/Vegas. It would be interesting to compare between the two if we had a large enough sample. Also, I'm not sure why these smaller Axis motorhomes come with lower gearing than some larger F53-based motorhomes. It doesn't make sense from a fuel economy standpoint.

Regarding driving speed for best fuel economy, in my experience you often have to stay below the speed limit. Many Interstate highways are at 70 MPH or higher, and to get best MPG one has to stay well below that. When driving larger motorhomes I keep it at 62 to 65 MPH as to not impede traffic too much, although best fuel economy speed is much lower than at 62 MPH.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing if the optional V8 will be offered in E-Series motorhomes, and whether it might improve fuel economy by a significant amount. About 10% or 1 MPG would be nice, although fuel cost savings for most owners would be minimal.

It would also be nice to see manufacturers offer more Transit- and Sprinter-size motorhomes on E-Series chassis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum