Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Chance & Jamie...I enjoy reading your brain-storming !
as for redesigning the back of the 24.1 bed design..even though that photo is attractive, the couch type seating makes for lousy sleeping. We shied away from several units which have a seam down the middle of the mattress in corner bed situations...everyone has their own preferences and we, having run the gamut have found that king/twin setup satisfactory.
However, we would have considered bunk beds !
Regarding storage in the Axis...we have found it capable of storing all our 'stuff' ... however, at this time, a bicycle is not included !

K
Kay, I agree. Ideal seating surfaces rarely make good beds.

When cushions are flat like on dinette or a gaucho sofa I sleep well, but when surface is contoured like in picture I posted above the bed feels lumpy to me. Some Class Bs (even the very expensive ones) that have a powered rear sofa that makes into King bed suffer from that uneven surface.

Winnebago and others have tried to combine a bedroom/lounge on some small motorhomes where space is limited by installing a powered bed over the lounge area. That approach is nice in that you can leave bed ready for sleeping when powered up to ceiling.

Another approach is installing a queen Murphy bed behind a comfortable (for seating) jackknife sofa that is opened to get it lower, then the Murphy bed pivots over it. By day it makes very open lounge, and by night a comfortable bed.

Personally, I like the 24.1 Twin/King setup a lot, and only wish they were higher to increase storage below (like on so many European RVs). We want to carry at least one tandem and two single bikes inside RV and not off bumper. For a small motorhome, we would also prefer the entire bedroom not be used solely for sleeping, so we would try to at least get comfortable back cushions to use the Twins as daybeds for lounging. I'm not sure that's possible, particularly if beds are raised much higher.

Anyway, I'm hoping Thor or others introduce something new at Hershey.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum