Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Kay, I agree. Ideal seating surfaces rarely make good beds.

When cushions are flat like on dinette or a gaucho sofa I sleep well, but when surface is contoured like in picture I posted above the bed feels lumpy to me. Some Class Bs (even the very expensive ones) that have a powered rear sofa that makes into King bed suffer from that uneven surface.

Winnebago and others have tried to combine a bedroom/lounge on some small motorhomes where space is limited by installing a powered bed over the lounge area. That approach is nice in that you can leave bed ready for sleeping when powered up to ceiling.

Another approach is installing a queen Murphy bed behind a comfortable (for seating) jackknife sofa that is opened to get it lower, then the Murphy bed pivots over it. By day it makes very open lounge, and by night a comfortable bed.

Personally, I like the 24.1 Twin/King setup a lot, and only wish they were higher to increase storage below (like on so many European RVs). We want to carry at least one tandem and two single bikes inside RV and not off bumper. For a small motorhome, we would also prefer the entire bedroom not be used solely for sleeping, so we would try to at least get comfortable back cushions to use the Twins as daybeds for lounging. I'm not sure that's possible, particularly if beds are raised much higher.

Anyway, I'm hoping Thor or others introduce something new at Hershey.
Good Morning Chance !
You are right on ! I get it...wanting to store bikes in that area..those beds are a little higher as is, due to one being over fresh water & mechanisms, etc...the other side has under bed storage which is nice.

We do exactly what you suggested...we have extra pillows and often recline in the bedroom to catch some TV or do computer work. That area between the beds is handy . It seems Thor, if motivated, could offer another configuration of that rear bedroom...to accomodate twin/bunk sleeping and offer a taller slot for bicycles.

Regarding Murphy Beds....we, actually searched for a motorhome which had a one...could find them on Sprinter (as I remember) chassis, but not with any configuration/chassis we wanted.

Also...I wish Thor would offer the option, to NOT have the bed above the cockpit....storage/electrical-sound equipment would be better for some.

You know..it reminds me of years ago...when men designed kitchens...until women were allowed to offer feedback on how a kitchen should be laid out, etc...did they improve to what they are today !!

The same goes for RV's ... if mfg would listen to their clients, there would be many more HAPPY CAMPERS !

We still love our Axis ! For us, in todays market, we finally found a motorhome, the length we like, which offers us all the amenities we want!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum