Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Graduated to Class A

Graduated to an ACE 30.1 Class A a few weeks ago.

After a couple of years with a Keystone 2400BH travel trailer we concluded that although we liked it, it wasn't going to be the choice for the long term. So we decided to take the trade in bath and upgrade for the long haul. We made a 2 week trip to Glacier NP this summer with it and my wife used up her trailer unhitch-level-hitch cycle tolerance.

Originally we were looking at Class C's but the space and maneuverability of the Class A sold us. We wanted something with which we could get into National Parks and State Parks so the 30.1 was about a long as we could go. Wife was looking for more counter space and more bathroom space, both of which we got in the ACE (when she saw the kitchen counter, it was basically a sale).

We've been out a couple of trips - one without a Toad to Meuller State Park and one with to Estes Park with the Toad. Handling is generally OK (with just the CHF) but could be better. I do have to stay on top of the coach, but the little bit of driving we've done with the Safe-T-Plus makes me optimistic that things have improved.

The side benefit of the conversion is I got to get rid of the Nissan Armada tow vehicle and go to the other end of the spectrum with a Mini-Cooper S Hardtop. We dolly tow it with an American Car Dolly - I decided to buy local. We were willing to drive out to Ft Morgan, but Gary called me one afternoon and said he could be at our house in a hour with the dolly.

Upgrades to date
- CHF
- Safe-T-Plus stabilizer
- 300 watt inverter that I already had - intercepted the awning circuit and ran 12V wiring up the coat closet to behind the TV. For now all we need is juice to run the TV and DVD player.
- Replaced all of the CH751 locks with tubular cam locks
- Garmin RV760 Nav. Rather have that than some factory NAV
- Oxygenics shower head
- Moved our memory foam topper from the trailer to the Class A. This is a Costco topper we got a few years ago and still makes a big difference in comfort.

Things that aren't so great - so far a remarkably short and minor list.

-Cup holders in the cab are less than that. Way too shallow so I'll have to figure out something to address that
- Can't tell what time it is. The Axxera unit doesn't show time when the rear view camera is being displayed, and wife wants that on all the time. The Garmin surprisingly doesn't show current time either.
- Noise in cab can be high, but I knew that going in. Speakers by your feet aren't too effective so I may replace them with ones on the window posts.
- Thor was sloppy with the nail filler putty in most of the panels around the bathroom, so we will have to find a solvent that will take off the smeared putty. CW was no help so I may have to call Thor.
- Door tends to stick sometimes and seems to be heat dependent. We had this problem with the trailer too so it seems to be an design issue with the trailer type doors.
- CW was supposed to order a new Air Conditioner cover to replace the one that had some stains on it during PDI. Silence so far so I have to bug them. I expect that is is going to be a routine, but not unexpected as its pretty standard dealer behavior.

Upgrades for next year
- Larger inverter, probably 1500-2000 watt with permanent install
- Rear trac bar and maybe sway bar replacement
- Speaker improvement
- Maybe a mattress replacement. Wife is thinking of a Casper mattress
- Converter upgrade to 3 stage

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum