Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ours is 11' 9" with the a/c units, but with my King tailgater Dish portable antenna, it's probably right at 12' with air bags up.

we've been many, many miles across country and thru Canada and have only had a single instance where I 'thought' I might have a problem - the north side of Chicago on Hollywood blvd(i believe) - a train/road underpass was marked at 12'. Driving very slowly, and nervous, we made it under with no problem... I've seen other areas in our travels that could cause some tension, such as several tunnels around Yellowstone, and thru the BlueRidge Parkway, but most are not only clearly marked, but have warnings marked well in advance of the roadway before you turn onto it.

I'll also give you something else to think about - while we all need to be aware of height issues, remember that underpasses are normally measured at their 'Lowest Point between the roadway and the underpass anywhere within the road lane' - basically meaning that the middle of the roadway is probably NOT the lowest point, but along the outside edges, especially for tunnels and arched bridges.
The highest point on your coach is normally the top of your a/c units, which are typically 6" to 12" in height, which is in the MIDDLE of the roadway, so the outer edges of your coach roof are probably well within any height concerns. (even though it may not 'feel' that way!)

I normally watch for semi trucks ahead - if they had no problem with the height, then I certainly won't. Drive on!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.