Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
zman7458

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37MD outlaw
State: Missouri
THOR #5305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
My only suggestion is to keep in mind that you will have approximately 500 pounds of batteries, so take care supporting that much weight. When you pick up batteries individually at 60 to 65 pounds each, it's easy to forget that together they weigh more than two generator sets, or the V8 engine in some motorhomes. Most cargo bays I've seen didn't look beefy enough to handle that much weight.

Regarding your wiring to make them identical, it's an excellent idea to do your best, but in the end not all your batteries will have the same exact internal resistance which is one reason many "experts" also recommend having fewer than 4 strings in parallel. This may become more of an issue as your batteries age, making them less balanced (notice most identical RV batteries don't fail at same time). Having too many strings in parallel also makes troubleshooting more difficult.

I really like what you're doing, and look forward to following your progress. I've looked at having the capacity of 8 batteries but haven't found a practical way to make it work for me. Please keep us informed.
yup when I was racing electric R/C cars if you had a good repoire with your hobby shop owner he would let you check the individual batteries you were buying from him so you could build a balanced battery pack and run cooler.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.