Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Gas mileage
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
SuperD

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Gas mileage

We have a 2017 Windsport 29M with Ford V10. On a recent trip of a little over 2000 miles I was able to boost our gas mileage from 7.8 mpg to 8.9 mpg with a simple modification anyone can do cheaply and easily.

I went to Lowe's and bought the following items:
1. 4" Clothes dryer vent outlet with louvers
2. 4" vent hose
3. 2 4" hose clamps
4. 4" 90 degree elbow

I removed the louvers, easy to get out after you look at it, attached the elbow so it pointed up and toward air box snorkel, then painted the whole thing black. Used 4 zip ties to fasten vent to back of grill at the bottom right side making sure it was secure. I attached the 4" vent hose to elbow and air box snorkel using hose clamps, tried not to leave any, or very little, slack in hose. DONE!

Now the engine can only draw cool outside air and not the hot air from engine compartment. I have owned several MHs over the years and have done this mod on most all of them and gas mileage always increased due to cooler air. Due to speed and size of opening there is no "ram air" effect but it works!

Just thought I would share with others who might be interested. I didn't buy my MH for gas mileage, but what the heck, saving money is always a good thing!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.