Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
Saratoga

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Ohio
THOR #5413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
We have been camped only 240 miles away from Thor's factory where they make the Tuscany, Challenger, Outlaw, and some Super C models. Yesterday we drove up and took the 3pm tour.

Very interesting seeing the stages from bare chassis to finished product. Some facts I thought were interesting:

1. They only produce about 25 units a week of the above models. They claim to have scaled back because they want to maintain better quality control.
2. Nothing gets built for dealer "stock" or inventory. Every unit built is spoken for by a dealer someplace.
3. They buy the chassis/motors as they need them instead of buying in bulk and letting them sit around for a year or so.
4. Changes are made in the middle of production. For example they decide that a vanity should be moved 2 inches over they will catch the next unit coming through the line and make that change.

All in all it was worth the drive. Even though I could not take photos it gave me a better understanding of where tanks and other things are located.
How long is the tour?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum