Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
Greg84

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Greg
Great info thanks. How much play in the cable do you have and does your cable have a rubber/plastic coating on it. I know the instructions say 2" but some seem to do a little more

On irv2 site there is a thread about the coating causing problems by sliding out of the crimps

Jerry

Jerry - your asking about the short piece of cable that connects the brake cable to the Ready Brake...correct? I'm guessing mine is in the 2-3 inch range. You'll have to adjust yours to your comfort level. If you are in a sharp turn and the cable is too tight your brakes will engage. I have had no issues with the cable slipping because of the plastic covering. I think if you tighten the u-bolts down enough it won't be an issue.

Another mod I'm looking at is running an additional LED brake light off the third brake light. I'll probably install it with plugs so that I can remove it. I'd put the brake light on visor so I could see when the brakes are engaging on the jeep. Note: You cannot plug lights into a JK tow harness with the cooltech harness installed. Well, you can but the lights won't work correctly. Ask me how I know. Luckily, that was only a few minutes and dollars involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
One more thing. Does the connection loop at the bumped have enough play in it to hide it when not connected to the mh. Or does it sit there in sight. Im afraid if its visable someone will mess with it while parked somewhere
Good question, I had the same concern. As I mentioned earlier I have an aftermarket bumper with a winch. I installed the brake cable about 1 inch under the winch fairlead and have about two extra inches poking out of the bumper. I have to have a front license plate for my home state. I have a removable plate that attaches to the winch fairlead and hides my loop when installed. I remove the front plate when towing and have access to the loop. I don't recall how the OEM front bumpers are setup, but you might be able to fashion a removable plate to hide the loop when not in use. So far no one has run off with my plate of messed with the loop.

For the emergency breakaway cable, I just tuck it under my bumper and loop it around something to keep it from flopping around.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum