Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
bevedfelker

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The attached picture is from my 2015 Vegas 24.1. On the backside of the water heater (inside the RV) in the hallway below and to the rear of the refrigerator is an air vent/grill. When you remove that grill, the attached picture is what you see.

To find your bypass valves, they will be somewhere on the back side of the water heater. Look at the exterior of your RV. Find the water heater and go inside the RV in that general area. It will be behind drawers, an access panel, under a closet, behind a grill -- not sure how your RV is configured but just look in that area at the back of the water heater and you should find them.

The three valves comprise the water heater by pass. You would close the hot water valve on the top (red line) and the cold water valve on the bottom (blue line). That isolates the water heater tank. Then open the valve in the middle connecting the blue cold water line to the red hot water line. When you winterize the antifreeze will be sucked into the cold water line and flow through this "bypass" valve into the hot water lines so that you don't fill up the hot water heater tank with 6 additional gallons of anti freeze when you winterize.

Also, in winterizing you need to be sure to drain the hot water heater tank. Do that by removing the Teflon threaded plug on the bottom and depress the pressure relief valve on the top to vent the tank so it drains faster. Be sure you have positioned the bypass valves as described above before trying to drain the tank.

When you then take the RV out of storage in the spring and "de-winterize" you need to be sure to put these 3 valves in their original position.

I know you do not have a Vegas or Axis; however, the manual I compiled is relevant to other models in describing system operations since many of them are compatible. The manual has a checklist for winterizing you might find useful. Here is a link to my manual:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	3008  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum