Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Chatesu E350
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
No data....and I too think it's some hype....

BUT if you think about it, it's certainly plausible I think.

these things impart a centering steer force. In a blow-out, there would be an asymmetric loading that would try to pull or steer you towards the bad tire. I don't feel that this is something one would argue against, right?

So, a device that uses springs to counteract such a steering force and keep things centered is bound to help in my estimation.

No?

......cut....
I don't buy the "blow-out" argument on many levels, but one that bothers me a lot is the relative force that the device can exert on steering. If the device is strong enough (stiff enough) to resist motion during a blowout well beyond what a normal driver can control on their own, then how can it at the same time allow a driver to accomplish fast avoidance maneuvers when required to avoid an accident?

I understand better than most that it works based on damping of relative motion; and that (hydraulic) damping is very speed sensitive. I get that. However, for there to be any damping force (other than through friction) there has to be motion first, which means the vehicle wouldn't have held its line in the first place.

Another thing is that blowouts are not the same. Not even close. Forces that a tire failure can exert on steering can vary all over the map. Additionally, not all steering geometries will respond to a blowout the same. Showing a motorhome stay in control with a device doesn't say much unless it was also shown to go out of control without the device. And on many occasions to make it statistically significant.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.