Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #6
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When it comes to the gas vs. diesel question I consider how many miles I plan on using the RV. When we went full time pulling a heavy 39' fiver I would not even have considered a gas tow vehicle. Putting 15,000 plus miles on per year on any RV it should probably be diesel. On the other hand we are now part time campers and will probably put between 4,000 to 5,000 miles on per year so I am fine with a V-10 gas.

When we were full time diesel was costing me anywhere from .20 to .80 more per gallon. Those costs plus more expensive oil changes and fuel filter changes do make maintenance cost more, however I was getting between 9 and 11mpg towing.

As far as used vs. new, I have bought two gently used and one new. Very few issues with both used RV's, a little more problems with the new one. For my money I think you are ahead of the game by getting a good 1 or 2 year old unit.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.