Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Bird testing?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Greg84

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Bird testing?

Because the fun never ends!

So, back in the first week of Aug I had my inverter replaced. Since then all has been well until recently.

We were are at a campground (50 amp) last week and the day we went to move I noticed "brownout" on the Power Control System (PCS). I understand that reflects low voltage at some point. I'm not sure when this happened, probably the night before when we were asleep. I use a Progressive Industries EMS PT50C surge protector that provides an low voltage error message and cycles off when the voltage drops below 104v and cycles back on when the voltage returns. When I plugged in at the campground there where no error msgs.

We left the campground and drove about 4 1/2 hours with the inverter powering the fridge and hot water heater (usually off, forgot to turn it off). When we got to the campground levels wouldn't work...turned out the house batteries where dead and had a low btry indicator fault on the control panel. Plugged into shore power and waited a few minutes and all was well. Jacks worked and the fault was gone and the house batteries were charging.

Today we pulled stakes and hit the road again. House batteries fully charged. About 5 hours into the trip the radio went dead and btry fault indicator again. The house batteries were dead again.

I don't think the "brownout" had anything to do with the dead house batteries but I'm asking.

I'm pretty confident that the alternator is not charging the house batteries with traveling and that the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) may have gone bad.

But before I start throwing parts (and $$$) at the problem I thought I'd test the BIRD. How do I test the BIRD to see if it is working properly?

I tried searching with no luck. My apologies if I missed it and this question has been asked before.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum